Outdoor Adventure Activity Program
*** IMPORTANT NOTE ***
Due to the popularity of RockSchool, we are usually booked out many months in advance.
Within 2 weeks of us confirming your booking, we require a 50% (non-refundable) deposit to be paid. The balance MUST be received into the RockSchool bank account 6 weeks before your booking date. This is to ensure we have an adequate number of volunteers and equipment available for your day. If your group needs to cancel your booking, there are others on a waiting list who would appreciate an earlier date, so please contact us as soon as possible.
- The cost for the activity is $30 per person (abseiling) per visit, (activity is $25 , plus $5 per person equipment). Click here for flyer. (see What does everyone need to bring).
NOTE: As per our Risk Management Plan under Adventurous Activities policy, for Cubs, Scouts and Junior Guides, we require a ratio of 1 adult per 4 youth members, with a minimum of 3 adults to be supplied by your group, to assist with supervision and belaying.
- Non-abseilers: $5 (we still need to pay for the use of the facility)
3. Scouts and Guides Requirements
- It is your responsibility to print and complete these permission forms (click here for Scouts and Guides forms) and forward them to your Group Leader and your Region's office, if required.
- A copy of all signed forms and a nominal roll (including all persons attending the site) must be handed to the RockSchool staff at the start of the Activity.
- NOTE: As per our Risk Management Plan under Adventurous Activities policy, for Cubs, Scouts and Junior Guides, we require a ratio of 1 adult per 4 youth members, with a minimum of 3 adults to be supplied by your group, to assist with supervision and belaying.
- NOTE: Non-abseilers are required to supply a completed personal permission note also.
- Only participants with a signed consent form can be allowed to abseil.
- All attendees are expected to behave in a safe manner, and be considerate of others, equipment and the environment.
4. Start and Finish Times and Parking
*** IMPORTANT NOTE: All participants in your group must arrive at the RockSchool site together, and leave the RockSchool site together. This activity is NOT suitable for those who need to arrive later or leave earlier. ***
- 0900 be ready for the sign in and introduction at the campfire circle. This is essential to ensure that we can complete the safety briefing as one group so that we can get all participants out onto the rockface as soon as possible.
- Your group will be at the fire trail gate around 1530.
*** IMPORTANT NOTE: No RockSchool visitors cars are allowed on site. They will need to be left at one of the previously mentioned locations, and you and your group must walk along the fire trail to the RockSchool site. ***
5. What does everyone need to bring?
- packed morning tea & lunch, and water bottle
- Bring/wear suitable clothing for the weather, including wet weather gear, enclosed shoes and long pants
- Insect repellent and sunscreen
- Long hair must be tied back
6. How does the day run at Rockschool?
- On arrival, your group will be signed in.
- Site orientation and induction.
- Introduction to abseiling - on flat ground.
- Introduction to rockface safety and abseil activity (click here to see a map of the drops available at RockSchool).
- Morning tea as required.
- Lunch break approx. 1200 - 1245.
- Afternoon activity.
- 1430 assist with pack-up. The last abseil and pack-up starts at 1430. The group cannot leave the site until all gear has been returned and logged.
- Approx. 1530 return to fire trail gate.
7. How do we get to RockSchool?
- Own transport
- Trains: to Sutherland or Loftus station. Bush trails lead from both stations into the valley. Make sure you know the trails and can navigate.
- Parking: Kingswood Rd, Engadine (2km walk) or Thorp Rd, Woronora (1.4kms from fire trail gate). If there is no room in Thorp Rd, you may need to move your cars down near the river.
- There are no signs.